Isn’t it a lot of tools that we need to work with on daily basis? How big is your package.json file? Do you know what each dependency is doing? I’ve assumed here that all of them have a purpose in your project. So this is an assumption, and here’s the fact — each of them has name, which you probably need to remember. Some describe its usage — like anti-ecological tree-kill, some not. It could take forever to guess what forever is doing. Some names are similar but serve different purpose, like pad-left and lpad. Can you guess without clicking?
Rest of us instead of finding well-suited names, often take random words and use it as name for our code. We, the programmers, like certain words more than the others. For example, wrapper (bin-wrapper, do-wrapper, word-wrapper, events-wrapper, circuit-breaker-wrapper). There’s even a rapper. But it’s not normal rapper like Eminem, it’s more like:
Construct wrappers around api RESTful endpoints (Browser/Angular/Node)
So basically rapper will give you wrapper.
Example: take stupid and other words and it’ll make your library name. Like: stupid + dictionary = stupid-dictionary. Yeah, dictionary can totally be stupid. What’s also stupid or frustrating. Maybe delay. Yeah, why not, waiting and delays definitely suck. Let’s combine stupid + delay. Here we go, stupid-delay! Oh, no, both already taken! Time is running away. Pardon, names are running away!
- 2.5 million node modules
- 200 thousand English words (insufficient)
- 1 big problem with names
I hope that you agree with me now that we need to take care of this problem before our kids have to! We can’t leave them with this ultra-hard-to-solve problem!
- - Hey, I’m new to programming, which framework is the best for creating single page applications?
- - Hello, I believe 77c29bcb-6422–462b-bb0f-1ba9fb1430cb is the best, but at work we use e778a475–7009–4fbd-9d83–16ebe6ef713d for its speed and flexibility. Other popular choices are b63e83ce-c6e5–4569-a8dc-b4ad34ffbb7e, c5b8999c-999f-4c8a-811a-d93f77ef5687 and d33df2b9–9325–434a-a507–988cce172cde. Hope I’ve helped!
- - That’s great! Thanks a lot!
2. We can use QR codes, images, author’s voice sample, something unique and put it instead of name in our package.json.
3. We can try to unify everything as Romans tried or Esperanto. Merging every module out there to Node API or browser API seems like a good idea for a start. We could get rid of all dependencies!
The choice is yours.